This is a great winter warmer! I followed a basic bread and butter pudding recipe, but substituted the bread with hot cross buns (mainly because i had 4 left and they were starting to go stale!). Here is my recipe:
4 hot cross buns
2 tsp cinnamon powder
2 free-range eggs
25g granulated sugar
nutmeg, grated, to taste
1. Grease a 1 litre/2 pint pie dish with the butter butter.
2. Cut the hot cross buns in half and spread each slice with on one side with butter.
3. Arrange a layer of buns, buttered-side up, in the bottom of the dish, then add a layer of sultanas. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon, then repeat the layers of buns and sultanas, sprinkling with cinnamon, until you have used up all of the buns. Finish with a layer of buns, then set aside.
4. Gently warm the milk in a pan over a low heat to scalding point. Don't let it boil.
5. Crack the eggs into a bowl, add the sugar and lightly whisk until pale.
6. Add the warm milk and stir well.
7. Pour the custard over the prepared hot cross bun layers and sprinkle with nutmeg and leave to stand for 30 minutes or so.
8. Preheat the oven to 180C.
9. Place the dish into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the custard has set and the top is golden-brown.
Serve with a dollop of vanilla icecream!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone